Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. ~Nelson Mandela

Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Dynamics of Our Classroom

Our conversation in class yesterday was frustrating because I often feel apprehensive saying what I am thinking. It's not because I am afraid of hurting someone else's feelings. It is also not because I don't want to share my opinions. Most people naturally long for ease and comfort. I am one of those people. I do not enjoy conflict and am not convinced that everyone in our classroom is really interested in respecting every one's opinions.

It is so much easier and to sit here in the comfort of my home and type out how I feel. First of all, I have a back space key. Anything I type can be edited which is not the case in the classroom. Here in cyberspace, I have the time to process my thoughts and be critical of myself and careful to say exactly what I mean. I don't have the huge lump in my throat and I don't feel at all defensive. I also can roll my eyes all I want at myself, at my computer, and the price of gas without anyone thinking it is because of them. There is no one here to offend and no one here who will make me defend my thoughts immediately.

What we are asked to do in class is speak up and may the loudest voice win! This is great for all of those confident people who are passionate about the topic being covered at the time. There are several people in our class whom we rarely hear from and I don't think it's because they don't have good ideas. Even those who are passionate about what we're talking about say things that come across all wrong in the heat of the moment. We need to take all of these things into account when we are talking in class. We need to respect one another's ideas and thoughts and understand that we are not here to judge one another.

Like Kerri-Ann said, we are all coming from vastly different backgrounds which is what makes our class so wonderful. We should try to learn from one another's different experiences, instead of taking things personally and getting defensive and confrontational. I am guilty of this myself and I think this might be why I haven't spoken in class as much lately. I want my thoughts and ideas to come out clearly and precisely, the way they can here in cyberspace. I don't want to roll my eyes at anyone or be accused of doing so either. Being fair to and respectful of others in our class is my intention and my desire. It is important to me that this fact is obvious to everyone in our classroom.

My real post is yet to come. My feelings and thoughts about our classroom dynamics really don't qualify for an actual post, so if you're reading this and thinking I took the easy road, I'm not done yet! Please check back for my post regarding the actual content of the class yesterday. I promise it will be worth reading. :-D

And any comments you have regarding this post will remain private unless you request them be made public. If you have thoughts and feelings about what I've written, but do not wish for the entire class to know what you're thinking, I understand and will listen to whatever you have to say and keep it to myself. I've already received several comments and appreciate each one of them. I value honesty and candor and openness and it may help us as a class to voice our thoughts to someone. . . anyone.

2 comments:

SomeGirlDotCom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SomeGirlDotCom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.