Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. ~Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Purpose of Education

Our discussion in class about leveling the playing field made me rethink my last post. I realize now more fully how this would completely transform our entire society and I don't think I saw the big picture until today. My thought for making all things equal for all children when they were young learners was to provide equal opportunities for all children regardless of their social class. I'm wondering how much potential we are missing out on by not educating all of our youngsters to the best of our abilities. On one hand, we are doing ourselves and the working class students a great disservice by not expecting more of them. On the other hand, to teach the working class students in the same ways that we teach the executive elite students and then expect them to return peacefully back to their working class status is perhaps a greater disservice. All things are not equal and I now realize that this is a big part of the plan.

I believe the purpose for education is to teach children how to learn, to help them value knowledge, to socialize and familiarize students with their peers and with authority figures, to provide them with structure, to keep them organized, regulated, and out of trouble, and most importantly to prepare them for future success in life, whatever they may do. It provides a method of controlling the population, imparting wisdom and knowledge to young minds, and maintaining homeostasis in our delicate social structure. We go to school to learn to follow directions, to obey or alternatively question and challenge authority figures, to think creatively, to prepare for solving real life problems later in life, and the list goes on. Without these skills, we would not be successful as adults. However, even with these skills I find that I know an awful lot of unsuccessful adults. In all honesty, I do not consider myself to be a successful grown-up.

Check out this article I found articulating the finer points in the debate around the purpose or meaning of education: http://www.teachersmind.com/education.htm

I wish I had been taught in an executive elite school and could readily conceptualize problems the way they were taught to from such an early age. My education seemed to vary from teacher to teacher, but I would have to say that overall, I would classify my school career as somewhere between middle-class and affluent professional. I do feel that I also developed a conflict relationship with capital, just like the working class students did. I'm not sure if that came from my formal education or from my years spent in the actual working class.

My purpose for my own education is to better myself. I do not wish to stagnate or to blindly follow what others tell me. My desire to be educated stems from my longing for challenges, respect, discovery of self and my surrounding world, competence, growth, stimulation, and purpose. I want my contribution to the world to matter in some small way. I want to find meaning and purpose in my work and in my achievements. Being a successful grown-up would be a good start, but I will hopefully surpass that as I continue to aspire to greatness.

7 comments:

SomeGirlDotCom said...

Question for you just because I'm interested in how you'll answer:

Do you think education determines society or does society determine education?

Some like Horace Mann believed that education, when successfully and fully developed, will protect society against its current vices such as poverty, etc. It will help to conserve and maintain the culture. And George Counts believed education can actually be used to create a new social order by developing a system which teaches a thorough understanding of global issues and calls for an critical analysis of these problems. So is education the remedy for social injustice, for the social ills and vices?

Or, since so many social problems exist in smaller form at the education level, is education simply shaped by the society and driven and transformed by the same forces that change the society? Let's use the results of the second Brown v. Board of Education, Topeka case as an example. The decision handed down in this case made segregation unconstitutional at the school level. So, schools then were forced to "desegregate" and bussing programs were created to help "integrate" schools. This is a change at the education level... changing the educational system. But did it have the same effect on society? Or did the forces in society affect what was being changed in the educational system? "White flight" then became more prevalent, and schools then became "diverse." (I use "diverse" as Kozol's term for "legal" segregation.) And of course, as we read, you have those who argued that the reason was not racially charged but instead was a result of parents not wanting the lower-class kids in the school for fear of "discipline problems."

So, again, I'm interested in your views on the relationship between society and education... :-D

SomeGirlDotCom said...

By the way, your reference link to teachersmind about the purpose of education must be very popular because Josh referenced it in his blog this week as well. haha
(http://hdev348.blogspot.com/2007/09/education.html)

Ms. Educated said...

How do you teach students how to learn? I like the phrase but it's somehow problematic to me at the same time. It is a complex phenomenon--teaching how to learn--do you think all students need to be taught how to learn?

Athena said...

First of all, let me thank you ladies for taking the time to read what I had to say and also for coming up with such poignant questions.

Somegirldotcom,
I have to say that I really enjoy reading what you have to say on your blog. You are so thoughtful and real and honest. I usually agree with what you have to say and even when I don't, I love your style of delivery. :)

I think that the education system reflects what society values and is determined by the select few of the society who wish to keep those of each social class in their respective place. In doing so, the society is then determined by education. One hand washes the other.

I think that education could be so much more for so many more children if we did use it to create a new social order. Education could and should be the remedy for our social ills. Convincing the powers that be that this is a good idea might not be so easy.

The de facto segregation that occurred as a result of Brown v. Board of Education is a problem I have no answers to. You can't tell people where to live and no matter what law is passed, people will find their ways around the law to do what they wish.

What I feel is necessary, is to eliminate the discipline problems of the lower-class kids. While we're at it, let's eliminate the lower class status. :) How we do that, I don't know. I do think that this is the answer though. No more lower class=no more poverty + no more segregation. Simple equation, but very tricky math.

Ms. educated,

Thank you for challenging me and making me take the time to think about what I've got going on in this crazy head of mine. :) Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I believe that all students are taught how to learn. I do believe that all children come to school with a natural style of learning that will work best for them or that they prefer. Many of these children's learning styles are not easily assimilated into a classroom of 20 other kids with differing learning styles. So each teacher of young children has to find ways to help these youngsters learn in a way that works for the teacher and student that is conducive to their learning environment. I believe this is what the good teachers do, anyway.

Teaching to learn includes how to formulate questions, how to ask those questions properly, how to find answers, how to take tests, how to read and write, and the list goes on. These are all skills that each of us need to learn to be able to learn. The teachers give us these skills early on and we use them our entire life to further our learning. Once we have learned how to learn from our reading, by taking notes or highlighting, we then go on to learn on our own without the guidance of our teachers.

Teaching children to enjoy learning is an entirely different thing. Only the truly exceptional teachers are able to achieve this with some of their students. I hope to one day be one of those teachers. :)

YankeesChik said...

I agree with you saying that the last class opened your eyes to what our society really is! After thinking about it, I realize that really is no possible way to change society. It is what it is. If we were to change things I think that there would be turmoil. There has to be people on the bottom and people on the top or else everything would not work out.

I thought, o, maybe if we gave everyone equal salaries that that would make things better..but that just wouldn't make sense. There would be some jobs that are needed in our society that people would just not want to do. So, I completely understand now why our society is structured the way that it is.

Athena said...

Yankeeschik,

Thank you also to you for taking the time to read my thoughts. I appreciate your comments also. :D

I have to disagree with you though.
I do think there has to be some way to change society to make it better, I just am not sure how to go about it. There already is turmoil in our society and lots of it. It just usually effects the working class the most and no one does much to eliminate it. Why not create some turmoil for the greater good of the majority of our society? Let's stir things up and see if we can't come up with something better. I'm just not sure communism or socialism are the answers.

I also think that some of the most undesirable jobs are also the lowest paying, which to me makes absolutely no sense. I have done several of these low paying absolutely horrendous jobs and have worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time. I believe that a living wage should be established instead of a minimum wage. Do I think all salaries should be identical? No, I don't think they should. I do think that as the most powerful country on earth we should not have people living in squalor or going hungry. There has to be a better way of doing things than the way we're doing things right now. Let's work together to create a little havoc coming up with a better way!

SomeGirlDotCom said...

Just stopped by to check in on the post to see the responses. I will try not to ramble too much this time, just wanted to add a quote that came to mind when I was reading Yankee's comment and the subsequent response:

"Society is never redeemed without effort, struggle, and sacrifice. Authentic leaders are never found breathing that rarefied atmosphere lying above the dust and smoke of battle..." -- George S. Counts

{ Athena, I thought you might appreciate it since you're in favor of schools being used to create a new social order ;-) }

Breaking down to the first part -- Change is never easy, especially when involving the change of so many attitudes and people. Sometimes you may need to stop and think about whether you can see beyond the initial turmoil. Is the purpose and possible outcome worth the initial turmoil? Will the turmoil be worse than the existing turmoil, and which one of these types of turmoil will last longer?

The second part -- think about a lot of the most influential people in our history. Where were they? Were they of the elite? Or, were they down amongst the masses? (Rosa Parks, for example) I think by taking a more active role in the political process, we can give ourselves a massive voice that has been ignored for so long. Some of the biggest events in our society's history stem from minority battles; people banding together in activism to work together for a common goal. (Granted successions had to be made in order to come up with that goal... but every footprint leads you one step closer.)



"In the silence, I have shouted feelings loudly screamed without a voice towards the deafness of your heart..." (A part of a little something I wrote awhile back.) This reminds me of the silent struggles of the working-class, their plights (poverty, inadequate housing, etc.) screaming loudly towards the deafness of the heart of our country -- our government.