Thursday, December 6, 2007
We're NOT finished! The work has just begun!
At the end of the semester you usually have this wonderful feeling of relief knowing that you are finished. You can sell back your books, kick up your heels, and wait for the grades to come back. I love that feeling and have had that experience repeatedly for the many semesters I have been through in my life. Somehow this semester was different for me. I don't really know how to explain it fully yet, because I'm not sure I understand it fully myself. I feel a certain unrest and while it is new to me, it is not at all disturbing.
In the past I have been working full time and going to school part, half or full time depending on the semester, my available funds, the courses and their projected workloads, etc. This is the first time since I was a wee lass that I had the luxury of taking four classes without working. I thought I would have so much time and be done with everything early. This was not the case by any stretch of the imagination. Something was different though.
This semester I had time to really reflect on what I was learning. Much like in the England reading for this week, I found that it is "better to eat one portion of grilled halibut than three king-sized burgers." It is important to slow down and really allow for growth, absorption, and understanding to occur. During this semester, just in being exposed to so many different people and concepts I felt that I have grown. Being able to take classes that were at various times rather than only early morning so I could make it to work made a huge difference also. I was able to take classes that actually interested me instead of what I could make it to.
Slowing down like this helped me to formulate my plan for my future. I feel certain that I want to teach now. For so long I have vacillated between being a counselor, social worker, alternative healer, massage therapist, and a teacher. While I know that I can still be any of those other things later if I so choose, I feel that right now I must teach. I also know now that I definitely need to research opposing views to that of which we have been taught in order to be a good teacher. Due to the effects of the banking model, I have accepted everything that I've been spoon fed my whole life and now I wish to build on that foundation. Now I must also question everything and learn differing perspectives.
My plans include using this information and the knowledge I've gleaned from the plethora of classes in my past to be the kind of teacher learners remember. One who uses the problem-posing method of teaching rather than the banking model. Instituting a learning environment that promotes self-exposure through openness and trust amongst all in attendance. To be the impetus for critical thought amongst those who I am privileged enough to teach is my ultimate goal. Refusing to teach to the tests being a revolutionary and using integrative curricula to make subject matter relevant and pertinent. I want the students to come alive in my classroom.
While I gain experience teaching young people (hopefully through Teach for America), I plan to be working on my MSEd in Special Education and then to continue on to attain my EdD or a PhD also. I would like to use my practical experience to benefit other college students who plan to be teachers. I plan to be a lifelong learner continually growing and learning from my instructors and from my pupils.
In the here and now, I can become more informed on political issues, especially those involving education, health care, and poverty. I want to know who I am voting for and why. These things are so vital and important, yet so many of us do not exercise our right to vote, nor do we investigate our candidates and their agendas. This must change. If we were told we could not vote, many of us would be furious. Let us not take for granted the privileges that others have fought for us to have.
One day I hope to write books filled with my ideas and experiences. I want to help myself and others balance carefully between naivete and cynicism on the thin line we call realism. My only fear is that someone will have already said what I want to say by the time I get around to saying it.
I think my unrest stems from the desire to effect change. I hope each of my readers will feel this unrest at some point in their life also. Question authority! Challenge your teachers and instructors! Be an informed citizen who exercises their right to vote! Share your ideas! Think critically! Just like England said, "Our situation is far from hopeless." So let's do what we can to make changes. Never let yourself be "finished." My wish is to make a difference!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well, hurry up and get to it already... I wanna be one of your students! :-D
And I agree with you about being able to slow down a bit and actually think about what you're doing instead of just going through the motions... definitely makes a HUGE difference. I think this could apply in the public schools as well. Give them TIME to learn... which they can't do if they're teaching to a test -- of course the lack of time is always one of the biggest complaints. But, it's kinda amazing how much more clearly you can see things when you have the time to reflect on them. (That could be another reason why they don't want them to think though ;) )
I'm really glad you were in class this semester. I enjoyed your insight both in your blogs and when you spoke up in class.
As far as your comments on the "our situation is not hopeless" quote... as you would say, "true dat, sista!"
Post a Comment